Extra virgin or Virgin olive oil is a natural juice of olives. This juice is made up 80% of oleic acid. Rich in monounsaturated fats, that helps maintain healthful levels of HDL (or good cholesterol) while keeping the artery-clogging LDL (or bad cholesterol) low. HDL cholesterol has a preventative effect on cardiovascular illness because it may help to eliminate the LDL from the blood by carrying it to the liver.
In summary, the extra virgin or Virgin olive oil helps us to:
- Circulatory system: helps prevent atherosclerosis, reducing risks of thrombosis and heart attack. It lowers blood glucose levels in diabetics. It prevents the increase of cholesterol.
- Digestive system: improves metabolic functions, combats constipation, reduces the risk of gastric ulcers, improves the functioning of the stomach and pancreas.
- Olive oil reduces the loss of calcium in bones and promotes bone development and mineralization.
- Olive oil reduces the risk of breast and colon cancer.
- Skin: Used as a skin care product, virgin olive oil protects and tones the epidermis.
- Antiaging: Antioxidants such as vitamin E, alfatocoferoles and beta carotene, produce important effects on the aging process.